Personal information is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion.
There are further special provisions, which apply to the collection of some personal information, which is known as sensitive information. This includes health information and information about a persons’ race, ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of political, professional or trade associations, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences and criminal history.
Collection of personal information by us
We are required to collect personal information to prove you have read and agree with our “disclaimer” document. All participants must read and sign this document providing correct identification information. The kinds of personal information we collect and store may vary. However, it may include (amongst other things):
- Personal information you give us when you request a product or service from us. This information may include but is not limited to your child, family information and other personal information you give us when you make an enquiry with us. This information may include your full name, address, landline or mobile telephone numbers, e-mail address/es, personal information provided by you for purchases may also include credit card details, communications between you and Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning
- Transactional information about your child’s attendance or other services (for example, your feedback on how you feel about the centre); information provided by our suppliers or third parties about you where it is in the form of a formal or informal complaint or other issue that may affect our liability; information freely provided by you which may help us with statistical information regarding our clientele. Such information by be classed as sensitive information (age, sex, birth date but is freely supplied by you for whatever purpose); and if you are applying for a position, we will collect information as outlined in the section below titled “Employment Applications”.
How your personal information will be used
We collect your personal information so that we can use it for future interactions, which include, amongst other things:
- Organizing events;
- Providing you with information regarding Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning and its activities;
- Confirming your identity when you book an event with us;
- Processing and considering your employment application (refer to “Employment Application” section below);
- Addressing any feedback or complaints you may have;
- Answering any queries you may have;
- Any purposes for which it was requested and directly related purposes, and developing, improving and marketing our products and services.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, we will be unable to do one or more of the above (including being unable to provide product or services for your child).
If you also subscribe to our mailing list, we may e-mail to you updates about our products and services. If you do not wish to remain a subscriber to our mailing list or otherwise receive updates on our products and services, you are able to remove your details from the subscriptions list via the contact us page of this website
If you also provide Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning with your mobile phone number we may choose to SMS updates about our products and services. If you do not wish to remain a subscriber to our SMS mailing list or otherwise receive updates on our products and services, you are able to phone Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning to be removed.
Exchange of personal information with third parties
Personal information collected by Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning from you may be disclosed:
- To any entity or body to which we are required or authorised by or under law to disclose such information (for instance, law enforcement agencies, courts, various other government bodies);
- To other businesses trading under the Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning name as a licence arrangement, agent, franchise or otherwise;
- To others that you have been informed of at the time any personal information is collected from you;
- To our business associates, including but not limited to other companies and their staff and others for purposes directly related to the purpose for which the personal information is collected or with regard your activities at events or activities we are contracted to;
- To Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning staff who need to contact you for whatever purpose;
- To our professional advisors and other contractors (for example IT consultants and mailing houses). In these situations, we prohibit the third party contractor from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which we supply it; or
with your consent (express or implied), to others.
Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning may also obtain personal and other information from some or all of the above to enable us to provide our related services or other products to you. When we obtain personal and other information from third parties whom we are referred to by you, we will automatically assume and you will ensure that you have made that third party aware of the referral and purposes involved in the collection, use and disclosure of the relevant personal or other information.
Use and disclosure of personal information by us
If we use or disclose your personal information for a purpose (the “secondary purpose”) other the main reason for which it was originally collected (the “primary purpose”), to the extent required by law, we will ensure that:
- The secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection (and directly related in the case of sensitive information), and you would reasonably expect that we would use or disclose your information in that way; or
- You have consented to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the secondary purpose; or
- The use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- The use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by law (for example, as a necessary part of an investigation of suspected unlawful activity)
- Information generally provided by you or sometimes by other third parties may be used in our general e-mail newsletter as general reading
We agree to not publicise information that we believe may be confidential information or news.
Collection of information other than personal information
If you visit our website, some of the information we and/or our contractors collect about your visit to our website is not personal information because it does not reveal your identity. Information of this nature can include:
Site visit information
When you visit our website, we and/or our contractors collect general information about your visit which may include your server address, the date and time of your visit, the pages you accessed, the information you downloaded and the type of Internet browser you used.
We and/or our contractors may use this information in anonymous, aggregated form, for statistical purposes only, to assist us in improving the quality and usability of our website.
A cookie is a small string of information that a website transfers to your browser for identification purposes. The cookies we and/or our contractors use may identify individual users.
Cookies can either be “persistent” or “session” based. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer, contain an expiration date, and are mainly for the user’s convenience. Session cookies are short-lived and are held on your browser’s memory only for the duration of your session, they are used only during a browsing session, and expire when you quit your browser.
We and/or our contractors may use both session and persistent cookies. This information may be used to personalise your current visit to our and our contractors’ websites. Upon closing your browser, the session cookie is destroyed.
Most Internet browsers can be set to accept or reject cookies. If you do not want to accept cookies, you can adjust your Internet browser to reject cookies or to notify you when they are being used. However, rejecting cookies may limit the functionality of our website.
Access and correction of your personal information
You may ask to obtain access to your personal information that we and/or our contractors hold, although under some circumstances permitted by law, we may not provide such information to you. Furthermore, we may not be able to require our contractors or third parties to provide personal information to you.
In return for this service, Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning reserve the right to ask you to put your request in writing and pay a reasonable fee levied by us for this service.
It is important to us that the personal information Ekidna – Dee Why School of Early Learning hold about you is fully accurate, complete and up to date. If you are aware that this is not case and would like your personal information corrected, or simply desire access to your personal information, please contact us via the Contact Us page.
If we decide not to change information or provide you with access to your personal information, we will give you our reasons for our decision.
Issues or Complaints
If you have an issue or complaint about the way we have dealt with any of your personal information, please contact us via the Contact us page. We will make all reasonable attempts to respond to your complaints or requests. We can also be contacted by phone on (02) 9981 2377.
Further information for you
Please contact us if you have any queries about the personal information that we may hold about you or the way we handle and manage that personal information. We can be contacted by the Contact Us page or by phone on (02) 9981 2377.